After over five years of leading change through personal commitments and collective action, the International Gender Champions network is working to advance systemic and societal change through Generation Equality.
The Generation Equality Forum is a high-level international conference that will take place from March 29 to 31, 2021 in Mexico City and will conclude in June 2021 in Paris, where concrete, multilateral, roadmaps for action will be presented. This will be the largest global feminist gathering for twenty-five-years, since the 4th - and landmark - international conference on women’s rights took place in China, launching the Beijing Platform for Action, making it a critical milestone in the history of women’s rights.
The Forum is being organised by UN Women, co-hosted by France and Mexico in partnership with civil society. All stakeholders will work to improve women’s rights and gender equality before 2030, as part of an intergenerational campaign called “Generation Equality: realising women’s rights and an equal future”. The efforts are organised around six Generation Equality Action Coalitions themes:
- Gender-Based Violence
- Economic justice and rights
- Bodily autonomy and sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR)
- Feminist action for climate justice
- Technology and innovation for Gender Equality
- Feminist movements and leadership
The Global Compact for Women, Peace, Security and Humanitarian Action are devices for accelerating gender equality, many of which are led by IGC Gender Champions. These six themes are also imperative for the realisation of all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
IGC Actions for Generation Equality Impact
With support from the United Nations Foundation, the IGC will dedicate 2021 to help amplify Generation Equality’s efforts through communications and conversations internally, expand the IGC network, deepen commitments, and the Nest. The Nest is a temporary, informal “network of networks,” focused on groups of senior-level leaders from government, business, philanthropy, and media, as well as key allies and male champions. The goal is to bring influential leadership groups into the Generation Equality process to help enforce and promote Generation Equality and the Forums’ work and messaging.
In 2021 the IGC will engage in the following activities to help amplify Generation Equality:
- Socialise and deepen stakeholder engagement amongst Champions by sharing information and acting as a conduit.
- Encourage 2021 IGC SMART Commitments that align with Action Coalitions.
- Facilitate Champion and focal point exchanges to identify synergies and ways to strengthen individual and collective action along with the themes of Action Coalitions.
- Promote intergenerational leadership and dialogue.